Archives by Month: February 2021
For many of us in the disability community, every day is awareness day. But every March we try to spend a little extra time advocating and spreading awareness in the spirit of National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month. Each March we select a theme to guide our efforts for the month and this year our theme is #universALL. We are striving for a universe where all people can thrive.
At the beginning of 2021, DCBDD hosted a community-wide logo contest to determine the logo that will be used alongside our #universALL theme. The winner of this year’s contest is a family member of someone we serve. Her inspiration for #universALL stems from a few different areas…
According to the artist, “The Earth is meant to represent everyone around the world.The hands circling the Earth are again meant to be inclusive of ALL people. Disabilities can be seen in all shapes, sizes and colors of people. The different colors of the hands are just a small representation of the many different disabilities that can be found universally. For example, the yellow and blue might represent Down syndrome, or the yellow/gold might stand for hearing disabilities or Spina Bifida. The purple could represent Epilepsy or ADHD and the blue shade might represent Reye’s Syndrome or Fragile X. This is just a sample of disabilities represented by many different colors. Finally, while disabilities can affect anyone, the love that connects us all is universALL.”
We hope you are as inspired as we were by this artist’s depiction of #universALL. DCBDD has several different initiatives and events planned throughout the month. Take a look at the list below! We hope you will join us for some or all of them!
And of course, we want to see you using the hashtag #universALL all month long on social media!
Happy Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month! How will you be celebrating?
2021 DD Awareness Month Initiatives
- March 10, 2021 – ADA Basics Webinar with the Great Lakes ADA Center
- March 17, 2021 – Zappos Adaptive Webinar with Zappos Employee
- March 31, 2021 – ASL Basics Webinar with EI Supervisor Zakiah Wilcox
Month Long Initiatives
- New banners in Downtown Delaware – If you’re taking a stroll down Sandusky Street don’t forget to take a selfie with one of our banners and use the hashtags #DDAwarenessMonth and #universALL!
- Downloadable Video Background – In this virtual world we find ourselves in, consider using our themed background for your next video call.
- #universALL Stickers and Sanitizers – Be sure to stop in at one of these participating businesses to support their business and pick up a sticker or hand sanitizer with our new #universALL logo!
- Nocterra Brewing Co., Ill Mannered Brewing Company, Long Branch Pizza, Surve, District 13, The Coffee Vault, CrossFit Delaware, Fit Fresh Fast, Coffeeology, Oak & Brazen, J. Gumbos, Wornstaff Memorial Community Library, Honey & Abernathy, Shorty’s Pizza.
- Use Our Social Profile Frame – Visit our Facebook page and select our temporary profile frame for your profile photo. You will help raise awareness all month long!
- Follow Us on Social Media – Follow us on social media to see features of inclusive places in Delaware and 2021 Lifetime of Giving recipients.